Thursday, September 30, 2010

Down on the Farm

The past two years we went on a farm field trip with the private school Easton attended and Dalton now attends. It's a fun time for all.

This year, with Easton in kindergarten, he didn't get to go. And Jason worked from home so that he could pick Easton up from school. But the little two and I headed up to the farm. Nothing like harvesting pumpkins and veggies on a 93 degree day. And this didn't happen weeks ago, this was just on Tuesday (September 28). Colorado is confused.

Anyway, we got there and got on a tractor-pulled trailer next to our neighbors. I have liked the farm field trip in the past as it give you a chance to get to know some of the other families but Dalton and Emery are apparently pretty attached to one another at school.
Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Oh well. At least I enjoy them. All but their first grader--Ben--came.

The three wagons towed our large group from field to field. We got to harvest more vegetables this year than we have in the previous two trips. We stopped for potatoes...
Photobucket

...onions...
Photobucket

...carrots...
Photobucket

...beets...(that's our neighbor Lisa helping Emery, Dalton, and Cooper.
Photobucket

...we also collected lettuce, acorn squash, and our neighbors took Dalton into the rows of corn for me. Walking through the tight rows of corn and not whipping Autumn (strapped to my front) in the face with leaves was proving too daunting a task.
Photobucket

Our last stop was for pumpkins.
Photobucket

Photobucket
Dalton and I got one for each member of the family. He was super proud of the one he chose for himself and wanted to carry that one by himself without putting it in one of our bags.

When the tractors brought us back to where we started, they have lil' wagons waiting for us to take our haul to the car:
Photobucket

Dalton put his lil punkin in his car seat while we headed back to the farm area to play and have our picnic lunch.
Photobucket

When we sat down to eat I realized the father of two small girls across from us was someone I graduated high school with (PJ, for Kelli and Tonya who might be reading this). I said, "You went to Overland" and he slapped his palm on the table going, "I knew you looked familiar!" We caught up briefly about people we've stayed in touch with, gotten in touch with again, and the 3 Facebook friends we have in common ha ha ha.

After finishing our lunch, Dalton wanted to play. I was super hot and wanting to stay in the covered shelter to keep Autumn out of the sun and chat with our neighbor so Dalton went to check out the nearby fire truck they have on the property where I could see him. I told him not to go anywhere but the firetruck. A little while later I saw him wandering away. Wondering what he was planning, I kept an eye on him. I was in a covered picnic shelter and I saw that he was heading to another picnic shelter on the opposite side. I noticed he was walking around and I told my neighbor, "I think Dalton is lost". I could see him, of course, but he couldn't see me. So I start booking it across the dirt calling to him. Just before I got there I saw a woman talk to him, pick him up and pat his back reassuringly saying, "We'll find 'em". I was like, "He's mine! I'm right here!" and she handed my sobbing boy over to me telling me she heard him crying and going, "I don't know. I don't know." Poor little guy. He'd mixed up which shelter I was in. I felt so sad for him.

We decided to call it a day after that little traumatic (to him) event. I carried both kids to the car and Dalton recounted the story, "I was on the firetruck and then I was walking and walking and looking for my cute mama (yes, he really said that!) and then I didn't know and I was cwying..." :(

As we were driving I asked, "Other than getting lost, did you have a fun day?"
Dalton: "No, I did not have fun when I was losted."
Me: "But you had fun before you got lost, right? What was your favorite part?"
Dalton: "Getting the groceries." :) All our produce...usually we get that at the grocery store. Ha!

We came home to Easton and Daddy playing a little Star Wars Wii and began to wash our veggies:
Photobucket

Photobucket

He got his shirt all wet but wanted to pose with the "groceries". Such a ham!
Photobucket

Photobucket

Such a fun morning with my littlest ones. Even if my thighs are super sore (sadly) from a 20 pound person strapped to my front and having to squat to get veggies then climb onto a high(ish) trailer with Autumn plus our bags of "groceries" again and again. Oy! But I'm already looking forward to next year!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I want to go to that farm! I can't believe you can get so many types of veggie's and so many of each of them. Ok, now for my nosey question: did you have to pay to go?

Dess said...

That last picture of Dalton propped up on his little elbow is too cute for words!
Also, Emery and Diddles being besties is the cutest blonde pairing I've seen in a long, long time.