Thursday, January 28, 2010

Mr. Imagination

Most of you know Easton has never been short on imagination. Remember this from right after he turned 3? (It's a classic, you should watch it again.) :)


Ever since he was really little he's assigned roles from his favorite TV shows and movies to himself and the rest of the family. And he would carry it on for days only calling me "Ruby" or "Jessie".

He used to only do it with his handful of favorites: Max & Ruby or Toy Story. These days, every single thing he sees he's doing this. It's to the point where he's interrupting books or talking through large portions of TV shows so he can fill us in on who we all are. Even at night when Jason tells the kids a made up story or even a classic one from memory Easton has to interrupt with which character he is in the story. Dude.

Just this morning we watched Olivia. He is Oliva, Dalton is the little brother Ian and Autumn is the baby brother, William. During a Yo Gabba Gabba segment he had to say, "I'm the blue one!" not to mention he already assigned the actual Gabbaland characters to everyone which prompted tears from Dalton, "Easton called me Muno but I want to be Brobee". Aaaaaaaaargh!

I love his imagination, I really do but good grief. Sometimes I just want to say, "think of it in your own head, man". Or fill me in later so we can enjoy the show or story.

We read some Dr. Seuss this morning and first he chimed in that he and Dalton were "Sally and me":
Photobucket

Then he had to pipe in again to change to "Little Cat A" as well, assigning "Little Cat D" to Dalton because he starts with D but Easton would not be E and Autumn could not be A:
Photobucket

Here he is at it again, and then I ask him about some of our cast of characters from various programs:

It's a lot to keep track of. As trying as it can be when he's interrupting constantly, it's also really fun when we can just play and be our characters. I like being Wonder Woman to my boys. Or "Prince Alaya" as Dalton calls me when I'm Princess Leia. I think it's funny when strangers hear Easton calling me, "Black Arachnia" instead of "Mom".

Between this phase and Easton's "What if" questions he's sure keeping my ears busy. "What if me and you and Dalton were all in your mom's tummy at the same time? Then we could..." "What if the power went out and the flashlights didn't have batteries? Then I could..."

I do enjoy that little guy. His brain must get very tired, though. :)

And from our books, I just had one little Dalton tidbit to share. I was reading this page and stopping to explain what "thin" and "stout" meant to Dalton:
Photobucket
I was like, "See, this 'thin' fish is skinny like Easton...and this 'stout' one is kind of puffy like..." "Like Mommy!"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What an imagination! Maybe he can invent something else besides gas to run our vehicles or some other cool invention. To think outside the box will be a very handy skill. Coming from one that has a hard time. He is such a special little boy. I just want to hug him. All of them.

Molly said...

So far, you and I seem to be all the same people. What I have realized from the E interview is that if I have a third kid it is really gonna throw Drew's roles off ;-)

I thought of you today when Drew wanted to continue our role playing into Target, back in the car to get Izzy, once back at home, and then to the playground. Glad to see that I am not the only one who lives in some sort of role playing world.

Do you ever have to play two characters? Sometimes Izzy wants me to be the "owner" of the puppy (her) and Drew wants me to be some other random person while he is who knows????? It can sure be exhausting!

sheree said...

hahaha! I love that! And you are so NOT puffy!

Kyla said...

The Dalton thing made me laugh!

BubTar does the same thing with the what-if scenarios...it was actually a question on the Gift and Talented questionnaire, too. I guess those smart little brains tend to think about lots of possibilities. He also loves to argue semantics...his brain just doesn't quit!

I can't believe how little E looks in that video! You don't really notice how much they've grown up until you go back and look!