Tuesday, January 12, 2010

My Well Boy

...and a few darndest things...just from today! (Which this picture is not--from today, I mean. It was from Sunday night. I didn't bring my camera today which was kinda freeing in a way.)
Photobucket

Well, we started off our day leaving the house at 8:50 this morning and didn't get home till nearly 4 p.m. Yesterday we spent 5 1/2 hours straight away from home as well but we'll tackle that in a future post, I s'pose. Today we'll only talk about today.

So, yeah, we left just before 9 a.m. and headed for our regular Tuesday doughnuts. It has been a very long time since we've eaten inside so we did that today. As we were walking in Easton rushed ahead to get the door stating, "Never fear the 5 year old is here!" as he stood by with one hand on his hip all superhero like and the other hand holding the door. Cutie! The boys loved eating inside again for a change and we got 3 free "samples" for going inside so we got to bring a few home for the boys' breakfast tomorrow. Yay!

As soon as we finished our Krispy Kremes we headed up to Easton's 5 year well-child visit. It was actually his first time being a patient at Dr. Groovy's. Can you believe he hasn't had to go to the doctor since his 4 year well-visit last January??? Well, I take that back...he did take a short trip to urgent care to rule out a UTI in May or so but still...

Easton did really well for the nurse. She did his height and weight:
Weight: 32 pounds
Height: 41.5 inches

She said his weight was 10th percentile but it's really not. It's actually not on the charts according to the actual doctor and this calculator too. No surprise there. His height is roughly 25th percentile (21st if you want to get specific). I'm surprised he's that "short" with as much as he's grown height-wise recently. And he's not too short-looking compared to his classmates anymore but whatev. Comparing to his 4 year visit on this exact same day last year he's gained 5 pounds and 3 1/4 inches.

She checked his vision and hearing and all that and he did great and passed it all. No surprises there either.

He did really well for Dr. Groovy as well. He likes him and was super polite and friendly and listened well to all his instructions while he checked him out. Dr. Groovy says he still has a teeny umbilical hernia (which we were supposed to keep an eye on till he was 5). I'm not quite sure what to do next. Dr. Groovy thinks it's fine but I'm not sure what the surgeon would say. Then again, do I want to know what the surgeon would say? It's not like we want our kid to have surgery.

Anyway, there are no concerns about anything as far as Dr. Groovy is concerned. So that's good. But, to get ready for kindergarten Easton needed four immunizations today. :( I didn't know going into the appointment and told him honestly "I don't know" about shots. Then when Dr. Groovy was done and we were waiting on the nurse I still didn't tell him. I did have him take off his shirt and we just waited (and waited!) for her to come back. That's when I told him. He wasn't too pleased. He got two in the first arm and he was crying but not fighting it. Through his tears he said, "I don't want to come here for my appointments ever again!" He didn't know he was gonna get two more in the other arm and that was even sadder. "Not again!!!" he cried. :( But then we were done. Oh, poor guy. I very much believe in vaccinations but it's still no fun to get them.

After we left we headed across the highway to Chuck E. Cheese with Easton's free birthday tokens coupon. We had a great time at Chuck E's. Easton was sooooooooo over the top sweet with his brother. It was great. It wasn't at all crowded so eventually I sat at a table with Autumn and the tokens and she nursed and the boys would come back to get their next token and check in. I could see them for the most part anyway but still. It was a lesiurely time.

Then I told Easton that he could pick whatever he wanted for lunch. From home or from out somewhere. He came up with bagels. Specifically the Hawaiian ones we like and he wanted strawberry cream cheese so we headed over there. Dalton and Autumn snoozed in the car. We got our lunch and I was asking if Easton's arms were feeling better. I said, "I know shots aren't any fun" and he goes, "You said it, Mom." I burst out laughing and told him, "You're funny" and he goes, "You can say that again!" Ha! What a goob.

After lunch we headed over to the rec center where I was hoping to buy a family pass but didn't bring any proof that my husband and I lived at the same address. I thought my 3 kids 5 and under might be proof enough but no. She needs some mail or something. But that was no biggie because we were heading to play at the park there anyway. It's a beautiful, cloudless 60 degrees here today. We haven't played outside in soooooo long. So we certainly took advantage even with the unmelted snow covering the playground. The boys had a nice time getting to be out and about even more. And it made my heart happy to spend that time with them in the fresh air and sunshine and see their smiles and giggles. Even Autumn had fun in the stroller. Then she took a nap.

When we left we headed over to get a car wash. Not only did the car really need it but the boys enjoy it as well. On the drive Easton was talking about how when Autumn gets bigger they'll get to watch 3 shows at quiet time because they'll each get to pick one and then said, "And if we have another baby..." and I interrupted with, "We won't have another baby" and he goes, "Why?" and I just said, "Because we're done" and then he came back with, "Does Jesus know?" Ha!!!!! Oh boy did I think that one was funny too.

Finally we came back home where the boys are now doing a bit of quiet time and Autumn's napping before we head to Sweet Tomatoes for dinner tonight. What a day! Other than the shots, it's been a very happy day today for everyone. Yay!
Photobucket

2 comments:

Kyla said...

They did his shots in his ARM? Ouchie! They still do KayTar's in her legs and since E is so slim it surprises me they'd use the arm.

Here's what my pediatrician said about consulting a surgeon, once you get to them, they are more about DOING than talking and it was very true.

It was warmer there yesterday than here!

Melissa said...

Shoot! That reminds me...Chasey needs to go in for her 5 year check up too!! I took Cash in December for his TWO year (he turned 2 in July)!! ...I think because I spent SO much time at the dr's the first few years of chaseys' life...now that I have 2 healthy kids, I kind of forget and just assume all is well...until they have a fever! :)